Wednesday, July 7

bookshelf favorites


Just wanted to share...

1. A Well-Kept Home: Household Traditions and Simple Secrets from a French Grandmother, by Laura Fronty. Sea-glass curtains, scenting clothes naturally, preserving herbs, and the art of the wood fire, among other things. I love reading this book in winter, too.

2. The Lady in the Palazzo, by Marlena de Blasi. Number 3 in the lovely trilogy (beginning with A Thousand Days in Venice: An Unexpected Romance) of her life in Italy, after she moved there to marry a Venetian she had just met...a great story of her clear-headed yet very romantic decision. Very inspiring ~ always makes me journal more.

3. Simplify Your Life, by Elaine St. James. A very simple and small book with great ideas (but of course, why didn't I think of that? kind of ideas) on reducing clutter, daily habits, making room for the stuff you really want ~ mentally or physically, and being true to yourself in the process of it all.

4. The Tao Te Ching, by Lao-Tzu and Stephen Mitchell. So thoughtful and inspiring. I breathe deeper when I read something from these writings.

5. Miss Rumphius, story and pictures by Barbara Cooney. A children's book, but great for adults too. There's a cottage by the sea, and lots of travel, flowers...I love this story.

These are all books I read when I want to be inspired, refreshed, enlighted, and/or brought back to my purpose.

What are you reading these days?