Friday, December 31

eve


I have a bunch of crisp fresh white irises as yet unfurled in my great-aunt Mary's blown glass vase. (She lived to be one hundred and one!) In the heat of the fire-warmed room, they are slowly begining to open. This feels appropriate for the new year's eve.

Reading through A Journal of a Solitude*, I came across this ~

I asked myself the question, "What do you want of your life?" and I realized with a start of recognition and terror, "Exactly what I have - but to be commensurate, to handle it all better."

Another word for commensurate is proportional. I've been thinking on that ~ things in proportion. Everything in moderation ~ to find my balance of work and play, concentration and time off. That idea intrigues me as I start this new year.


What are you thinking about as the year turns?


*may sarton