Monday, December 13

snow flurries and bee-pastures

seaside

White snow flurries fall as about 15 sparrows crowd themselves onto the feeder, throwing seed down for the juncos. I sip mandarin orange tea and watch them out the kitchen window as I cut turnips and yams and beets for soup, boiling kettle after kettle of water to cover the mound in the pot, and Tim finds space around me to make drip coffee, pour granola, and the dogs wait and stare for their breakfasts. Laundry is being washed, but so much else in the house waits to be cleaned, tidied, and put away ~ I just don't know how much I'll do of that today ~ I need to put it out of my mind and get into the studio. In March I have a solo show here, and I'm slowly getting the wheels turning and projects organized.

Tonight is a meteor shower, and I plan to take a sleeping bag and curl up on the upper porch to watch, hoping the sky is clear. During my recent visit to the Museum of Natural History in New York, I touched a meteorite ~ cold rock from far far away, farther away than I will ever be and it was a thoughtful experience.

I've also been re-reading The Hobbit after a pause of some years, and it is such a charming book ~

        It was the middle of the afternoon before they noticed
that great patches of flowers had begun to spring up, all
the same kinds growing together, as if they had been planted.
Especially there was clover, waving patches of cockscomb
clover, and purple clover, and wide stretches of short white
sweet honey-smelling clover...

       "We are getting near," said Gandalf, "we are on the
edge of his bee-pastures."


Can you blame me for now wanting a bee-pasture? About half of our pocket-hankerchief sized lawn (the part not growing perennials or vegetables) is covered in clover, which dies back in winter leaving bald patches everywhere but during the rest of the year is wonderfully lush and does attract the bees. And one day I will raise bees too.

I'm loving this project, and this photo, and please do watch this marvelous collaboration. I've added a sidebar over to the right with fun bits of things and inspirations I come across, and I'll be adding to it and renewing it each month. You might even find yourself there at some point.

:) brooke


*