Monday, June 20

happy solstice!

somer


somer



My friend Somer and I chatted today about her quest for a tent. Her first tent, to be ready at her beck and call for future adventuring, solo or accompanied. Having a tent is having a key which opens possibilities and ventures into the unknown, yet it is a haven in a strange place. I have had my tent ever since my mother surprised me with it after my first semester of college. I have had it for 14 years. Tents become a part of you. If I am packing for camping I will always pack my tent, but if Tim begins the packing, his tent will find its way into the car instead. We're a two-tent household, and we each feel best and most at home in our own tents.


I think it's important to know that about someone. 


I have two apple crisps in the oven, filling the house with their cinnamon scent. Six round, glossy granny smith apples I purchased at the co-op this afternoon (in between the bank, the thrift shop and the library) are nestled under a crust of brown sugar, butter, nutmeg. There will be one to freeze for later and one to eat up tomorrow for breakfast and then for after-dinner dessert.


Somehow I stumbled across Francis Ford Coppola's The Secret Garden. Maggie Smith is the housekeeper in it ~ she is one of my great favorites. The book is wonderful too as I re-read it. Do you have any old childhood book favorites? I just read all of The Borrowers and they are indescribable.


I also wanted to say that I have been treasuring all of your comments and encouragement lately, and I know I have been noticably lax about getting back to each of you. I usually read them more than once, to get the full flavor, and to enjoy this online community and all that we share in common. It often makes me laugh out loud in happiness. I want you to know that even though I have not been responding as often, I am reading them and loving them and appreciating them.


I have also decided to deactivate my facebook account for the time being, so I'm not in that space anymore ~ it was frittering away my tendrils of thoughts, so hopefully they will come together and be distilled more often in this space.


Thank you all also for the lovely anniversary wishes!


x brooke




*