Thursday, January 5

crocodiles make great mothers

my mom found this piece of snakeskin for me on a hike last month



My mom found this piece of snakeskin for me on a hike last month.


I love snakes. They are my totem animal. I have kept a snake dream notebook about them for years since I dream about them so much ~ the symbol of transformation, wholeness, and eternity. The ability to experience anything willingly and without resistance. When I see one in the wild, I'll stop and watch for as long as I can.


That said, I haven't dreamt about them since I've been pregnant. My dreams now are full of the ocean, swelling waves, and gigantic crocodiles, sharks and breaching whales, all of which I watch without fear, a fascinated bystander. All metaphors for motherhood (crocodiles are great mothers), hidden instincts, childbirth, and moving between the physical world and the deep ocean of the unconscious.




me with a baby alligator, growing up in florida*


There is always something fascinating to learn every day, isn't there?








*photo by my mom