Friday, July 6

baby blues

lakeside




Untitled




Untitled




Untitled




Untitled





The baby blues truly suck. I know they will pass, and we're keeping an eye on things. It helps to get out of the house (we visited the lake yesterday), to try for more naps, to eat well, to remember it's temporary and that soon things will return to a more stable keel.


How did you deal with the baby blues?


The nights can be hard, just waiting for the dawn to break if I haven't been sleeping well. It's getting better. It's hard to sleep when your baby sleeps, like they say, because who can really sleep on command like that? For the first week I think I got about 10 hours of sleep total, high on hormones. I simply could not fall asleep. Now I have little rituals to help ~ chamomile tea, a warm shower, and everything set up with his soft blankets in our bed. I love watching his little face in the dark, his arms thrown up over his head. The nights pass in merging chunks of sleep, the cool of cotton sheets, blue light, nursing, resting, putting his tiny hat back on. I am always happy to see the subtle brightness of the sky outside the windows, and then the sunlight effervescence through the leaves, and the lighting up of his red hair. Another day has arrived.







*